Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What Idea Will You Have Today?


That's right - you're destined to have an idea today. Most of you more than one! An idea you can turn into a line in your next speech, or a story for your speech, or the basis of a new speech. At the very least you are going to have an idea that can be counted as treasure for the future.

Don't believe me? Here's a list of ideas I've had in the last 5 days (not all of them either). These ideas didn't come during 'special idea thinking time', simply as the day went along.

Dec. 25 - My daughter Riley got the Nintendo DSi she'd been praying for for months. The resulting screams, as she opened up the last gift of Christmas, made everything it took to make her wish come true absolutely worth it. A great story to use with Perserverence, Faith, Manifestation, Resourcefulness, Joy, Appreciation, and/or Rewards.

Dec. 26 - I went to Barnes & Noble to spend a gift card. Should I get a couple of classics, like Catcher in the Rye and Bleak House? Should I spend it on a book for the kids? They had sales on all sorts of family games. The Daily Drucker sat there taunting me, as did all those Gitomer books about sales and success. The choices were maddening. The process of guessing and second-guessing small decisions can easily be applied to making big decisions. Worth at least a quick throwaway humor line in the future. (For the record, I ended up with Brain Tracy's 2003 book, Change your Thinking, Change your Life.)

Dec. 27 - Spent the day sick, and by evening, my wife took ill as well, leaving the kids in full control of the household. The ensuing madness makes for huge humor opportunites, as well as an analogy about how much the world may or may not rely on our existence.

Dec. 28 - As I was midway through my day on my diet (the no-carb Atkins diet), my wife tempts me with stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and chocolate still lingering from Christmas dinner. Assuming she's going off the diet too, I surrender to my delicious desires, only to realize she never goes off herself. There's definitely a story there!

Dec. 29 - (Today) - well obviously, I got the idea for this post, and acted upon it, which is the best thing to do with your ideas. Usually.

These aren't the only ideas I've had in the last 5 days, and they may not even be the best of them (gotta hold back a little, right?). The key is, they happened in the regular course of living, by watching and listening, and then taking deliberate notice of how life applies to our speaking and writing.

You are going to have at least one good idea today. Are you ready for it? Think...and Deliver!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...